2013年10月8日星期二

HIPAA requires photos now?

  • medical records software
  • medical psychology
  • web file format
There was an "interesting" development today at an appointment. I wonder if someone can explain this to me, as the subject wasn't told much.


It seems that when she went to have some work done, the secretary required that she have a photograph taken to include with her file. The brief explanation was that it is required by HIPAA today, as some addition to security. Since this used to be my field, she asked me. Honestly, I'm stumped.


Yes, it can help identify the person in the file for bill collection, court, and other legal issues, that most doctors and such are worried about rather than releasing information to the wrong person, but how does it protect "us" from anything? Also, well, the government is shut down, which means that they are not doing ANYTHING right now. In other words, the timing is off, way off. Too early, I think, to add things, which should be about January, and, even if they did "emergency" plans, they're not even in. Last I heard, they are bickering about raising the debt limit, not passing more insane and useless laws.


Thanks for helping an old man understand "new" laws. :)

HIPAA requires photos now?

没有评论:

发表评论