2013年10月25日星期五

How do I file a complaint about an absurd medical bill and is it even worth the effort?

  • cheap medical insurance
  • best medical insurance
  • medical travel insurance
  • low cost auto insurance
  • amazon cruise
  • first prenatal visit
Over the summer I was diagnosed with de quervain or "mommy thumb." When I saw the doctor they gave me a thumb brace to wear for several weeks while my hand recovered. Soon afterwards I was slapped with a $160+ bill for the brace, which to my understanding was my share of cost for the brace. Long story short, the $160 bill came at a bad time due to furloughs, other medical bills, etc. I'm finally back at a point where I can pay it however I made the mistake of looking up how much my brace would have cost me if I purchased it on Amazon. Not to my surprise, I found the exact brace or something very very similar to it for less than $40 on Amazon. Now I feel like I've been thoroughly and unethically ripped off. If I really have to I WILL PAY FOR THE BILL. However, I feel that it's just not right giving in to the system. Personally, I want to complain but if I take the time to complain then I'll expect to either have by bill forgiven or to pay a reduced price, say $40. Should I even bother complaining or will I just make myself more mad in the end because I'm going to loose either way?



One request. Please don't go off on a tangent and make this about the current healthcare debate. I'm so tired of the arguments from BOTH sides. I will vote for the best answer and the best answer will speak nothing of the current debates on healthcare in our country. Thanks!
  • Additional Details
  • Details I failed to mention, re-clarification, and an update:

    No deductible as I typically avoid plans with them.

    The total bill was $165

    The cost for the MDO visit was a $25 copay.

    The charge for the brace alone was ~$470, my share of cost for the brace is $140

    I called and paid the deductible for the office visit today and filed a dispute for the brace itself, offering to pay a more "reasonable" amount. I'll be hearing back in approximately 25 business days.


    Thank you for those who answered, I do feel there are three or four answers that were satisfactory. I will be closing this question and voting for the best answer.
  • I do realize it was my fault for not asking how much much the brace would be. However, at the same time I have worked in the medical field twice before and when I was an employee in the medical field I took it upon myself to exhibit good customer service and find out costs for my patients based of what I could find out about their insurance. Therefore, although I will accept blame I do feel that it would have been good customer service to at least give me a heads up that this may cost $470 if my insurance didn't cover it. Is that so wrong to expect? With that said, despite the fact that there were several "fair" answers, I'm going to vote for the one answer that didn't rub it in my face and offered a thoughtful possible solution even if I possibly end up getting stuck with a large bill. As you can see from my first edit, I did take your advice and am hoping the situation swings somewhat if not all in my favor.

  • How do I file a complaint about an absurd medical bill and is it even worth the effort?

    没有评论:

    发表评论