2013年10月23日星期三

How Do I Handle this Ethical Dilemma?

  • online business accounting
  • accounting services for small business
  • business intelligence company
  • cheap photo books
I'm currently working for a small contracting company to help put myself through school. I started off at the company as a seamstress and after two years, I asked if I might be able to learn how to do the books. My boss taught me how she does them, and I went on my merry way, very excited that I had been given this opportunity. I have since begun taking accounting courses as part of my business degree, and to my dismay, I've learned that the books are being done incorrectly. And I'm not talking general mistakes, I'm talking complete violation of accounting principles.


For example, in the company, there is no such thing as adjustments. We bought a new vehicle for the business. Instead of depreciating it over several fiscal years, they made me write it off all at once. What does that do? It violates the matching principle. It completely through off our net income. It's not like a $23,000 vehicle would depreciate in one year.


They also do cash jobs, which they don't understand isn't easy to hide. I have to pay the workmen, and I have to indicate what they were working on, so here I am allocating labor and materials to a job that has no invoices. I don't care if they do work for cash, honestly. I think most businesses do that. But I don't want to be in the middle of it, and when I own my own business one day, I won't be doing it. Every accounting class tells me this is wrong.


I've tried talking to them about it. When I told them they needed to account for the depreciation of the new vehicle, they chalked it up to "We've never done that. Why should we now?" And I said, "Because you will be audited. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually, in the life time of this business, you will be audited, and not only will you get into trouble, so will I." But they dismissed it. They don't want to change. I also expressed that I don't know how to hide the cash jobs, and I don't want to. They told me not to worry about it. And here I sit completely underpaid while they've stolen over $10,000 this year. Did I mention that the truck isn't actually a work vehicle? Sure my boss uses it for work, but it's his personal vehicle as well.


My boss was excited that I was taking accounting courses. He asked if I was learning anything. I said, "Yeah. I'm learning that we're keeping the books incorrectly." He just smirked at me. Don't get me wrong. I like my bosses. They are good, hardworking people, but I just feel like they don't understand why I'm so upset about these things. I think they just think I'm being anal.


I'm still here because I need the job to pay my tuition. Even though they don't pay me well, I'm not in a position financially to go back to minimum wage. I'm looking for a new job currently, but I haven't found the right fit. I can't quit because I'm only part time. I can't get benefits while I look for new work.


What would you do? What's the possibility of me getting into trouble if the company were audited? Even if it's years from now, and I'm long gone?

How Do I Handle this Ethical Dilemma?

没有评论:

发表评论