2013年10月6日星期日

Did I make a mistake in asking for a raise?

  • graduate work experience
  • how do business loans work
  • premium rate income
  • sick children charity
Today I asked my boss for a raise. I've been a nanny for her 2 children (age 4 and 6) for almost a year and a half now and in that time, I got 1 (unsolicited) pay bump. I make $10 an hour. I do not get vacation or sick days, nor have I ever asked for any. I am generally fine with what I make, but recently my boss asked me to come in during weekends to tutor her son (who has a speech impairment) in English because I have a bit of experience in the classroom. I've tutored before, and my going rate for that is $20-25 an hour, but since I have been with the family for so long and I know they can't afford $25 per I asked for $15.


My boss was offended by this, saying that she shouldn't have to pay me any more to tutor her son than she does for me to mind him during the weekdays. After explaining that when working in the classroom my rate was $25 and it didn't make much fiscal sense for me to tutor for less than $15, she said to forget about it altogether because she could find someone cheaper. After I agreed and said I'd be happy to stick to my 5 day a week schedule, she fired me! She said that I cared more about money than I did for her children. Our first session was supposed to be tomorrow, so I probably should have asked her about pay sooner, but I then offered to tutor for the $10/hr she was offering until she could find someone who wanted to work for that amount regularly, but she refused.



Did I make any mistake here that would justify her firing me, or was I just working for a crazy person?

Did I make a mistake in asking for a raise?

没有评论:

发表评论